With a sense of inevitability, my tour of 1970s science fiction hits 1975. As usual it’s not a complete list, more a sense of the big releases or key moments from the year.
It’s notionally from the perspective of a teenage fan at the time. Do feel free to browse and comment.
1975 in science fiction
Again are there any big items missing, particular those a UK fan would / should have been aware of? Let me know in the comments!
Science fiction books
- Ursula K LeGuin wins the Hugo with The Dispossed. She beats Mote in God’s Eye from Niven and Pournelle as well as Flow My Tears from Philip K Dick
- Joe Haldeman’s The Forever War
- Orbitsville by Rob Shaw
- Imperial Earth by Arthur C Clarke
- The Quest for Tanelorn by Michael Moorcock
Science fiction films
- Young Frankenstein wins the film Hugo over Zardoz, The Questor Tapes and Flesh Gordon
- Death Race 2000
- Escape to Witch Mountain
- The Land that Time Forgot
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- The Stepford Wives
Science fiction on TV (UK)
- Space: 1999
- The Changes
Science fiction music
- Hawkwind release Warrior on the Edge of Time
- Pink Floyd release Wish You Were Here
- Queen’s Night at the Opera includes not only Bohemian Rhapsody but more relevant (perhaps) Year of ’39